As part of my fitness challenge I have to incorporate more protein into my diet. I also reduce my fat and carbohydrates intake. Combined, this diet helps you lose weight whilst still getting to feel full and satisfied. Here are my quick and easy protein recipes that can help you lose weight.
Chicken, feta and spinach Omelette
One of the best things you can do is stock your fridge up with protein rich ingredients. For instance, you can buy egg whites in cartons. Egg whites are full of protein, without the fatty parts of the yolk. I like the flavour of yolk however, so for this omelette recipe, I combine one normal egg with two extra portions of egg white.
- 1 whole egg
- 2 portions of egg whites
- cooked diced chicken breast
- feta cheese
- salt and pepper
- herbs of choice
- Optional fillings, such as mushrooms
- Combine the eggs together in a bowl, mixing with a fork or whisk.
2. Add salt and pepper to your liking. For different flavours, add various herbs or spices of your choice. It’s fun to mix it up on different mornings. I personally love adding a bit of turmeric and chives.
3. Chop up a handful of spinach roughy, and crumble some feta cheese on the side. Put a frying pan on a medium heat, add olive oil, then pour in your egg mixture. As the bottom cooks, add your chicken, spinach and feta.
4. Fold the omelette and cook until it’s done – generally about 4 minutes.
You can vary this recipe as much as you like, changing the filling or seasoning. I like to add chicken because it’s so high in protein. Mushrooms are an excellent addition if you want something with lots of flavour.
Grilled Salmon with Avocado salsa
Grilled salmon is my go to lunch. Salmon is packed full of good things for your body, including tons of protein. You can grill the salmon, or oven bake it if you don’t have a grill. I like to pair it with grilled veggies, but having avocado salsa or guacamole makes it feel a lot more summery.
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp paprika
4 salmon fillets
1/4 red onion
1 lime, juiced
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 1/2 tsp salt
chopped coriander/cilantro *optional garnish
1. In a large bowl, mix oil, salt, pepper, and paprika. Coat the salmon fillets with the marinade and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
2. Grill the salmon on high heat for 2 minutes each side.
3. In a separate bowl, lightly toss avocados, 1/4 red onion, the juice from 1 lime, 1 Tbsp. olive oil and salt to taste.
4. Spoon avocado salsa on top of the cooked salmon. Top with finely cut cilantro and enjoy!
Slow Cooker roast chicken
If you don’t have a slow cooker, get one. It’s one of the best cooking investments you can make. Slow cookers make cooking super easy, especially if you don’t have much spare time. You simply prep your meal the night before, put it in the cooker in the morning, and come home to dinner ready for you. With cooking so easy, you’ll find yourself less likely to eat unhealthy take-out meals.
Roast chicken isn’t exclusive to Sunday lunch with the family. A roast chicken gives you lots of meal options. Chicken is lean and high in protein. You start your week with a roast chicken dinner. The with the leftovers you can make sandwich fillings, omelette fillings, curry or even soup. It goes a long way, so also great for people on a budget.
If you don’t have a slow cooker, you can still roast a chicken the old fashioned way. It takes bit more attention that simply popping it into a slow cooker. But it’s completely worth it.