When people hear the words sex coach, they probably think of something either really raunchy or really weird. That’s because there aren’t too many things out there written about what a sex coach actually does, with many people wondering if they’re just mythical creatures who help others have the best sex of their lives.
While that may (eventually) be true, for the most part, sex coaches are there to help people in a relationship figure out what can be done to improve their sex, offering up some tips to communicate better, as well as ways to slowly explore different positions or tendencies in order to enhance the passion between the sheets. A sex coach is a professional who can help with a number of sexual issues, both mentally and physically, which is why going to one can be helpful for both couples and individuals.
To help you better understand what it’s like to visit a sex coach, we’re giving you some information that should leave you feeling like a pro by the time you’re done reading. Then you can decide whether or not going to one might be able to help you with certain issues, or help bring back some steamy ideas or positions for you and your girlfriend to try out. Hey, we’re just looking out for you.
So, what exactly is a sex coach?
A sex coach is someone who’s trained at helping people with their sexual issues, whether that be with performance or something else. Most sex coaches fall under the same label as relationship coaches, too, but both can help in different ways, so it’s important to understand the differences between both.
Depending on your personality, interests and sexual boundaries, finding the right sex coach can help define goals and help you explore some of them more frequently in the bedroom.
Are there different types of sex coaches?
Yes, there are two different types of sex coaches; talk and hands-on (or experiential). It’s important to know the differences between the two types of sex coaches in order to determine which is best for you and, potentially, your partner.
During talk sex coach sessions, a person will have to answer questions about sexual challenges and goals, and will then be given suggestions for improvement, along with books and videos to help.
For hands-on sex coach sessions, the coach will teach you how to actually be a better lover, both talking and walking you through a variety of hands-on positions and practices that can help improve breathing, touching and sharing sexual energy. This type of sex coach will also help with how to verbalize sex and help seduce your partner.
What does a talk sex coach help with?
Now that you know the differences between the types of sex coaches, let’s take a look at how each goes about helping you with your sexual issues. Some of the main issues that a talk sex coach helps with will be things like dating, sexual identity, sexual abuse, sex addiction, sex and aging, open relationships, communication skills, gender identity, sex in long-term relationships, and sexual dysfunction.
Additionally, once the problem is brought to the sex coach’s attention, over time, a talk sex coach will help with these types of problems.
- Identify your sex coaching goals
- Talk through potential approaches
- Create a sex coaching plan
- Offer you emotional support, suggestions, and homework
- Help keep you motivated around your goals
Like more traditional therapists, talk sex coaches are there to listen and provide feedback through education and help build your self-confidence from a variety of learning tools.
What does a hands-on sex coach help with?
While a talk sex coach is there to listen and provide feedback through different tools, a hands-on sex coach is there to help you act things out in order to visually and physically see how things should be. Much like a person would learn to play an instrument by playing it, a hands-on sex coach is there to have the student learn firsthand.
Some of the sexual issues that a hands-on sex coach will help with are things like becoming more comfortable with your body, figuring out your sexuality and how to be intimate. Additionally, here are some other problems a hands-on sex coach may be able to help with.
- Identify your goals around your sex coaching goals
- Talk through potential approaches to resolve your challenges
- Create a sex coaching plan with practical steps for implementation
- Offer you emotional support and suggestions
- Offer you new tools and skills to expand on your current skillset
- Give you opportunities for hands-on practice of new techniques and offer real-time feedback
- Help keep you motivated around your goals
Some research has shown that hands-on learning is more effective, so this type of sex coach tends to be a little bit more popular — but, don’t worry, you won’t be having sex in front of a total stranger or anything.
What should I expect when going to a sex coach?
Going to a sex coach might feel overwhelming at first, but if you — and, maybe your partner — decide it’s the right thing for you, there’s no harm in trying it out and going all in to get the most out of it. That said, do your research so you know what to expect, and remember to figure out which one of the two types of sex coaches is right for you.
As for what to expect from a sex coach, here are some things you may experience.
- Be prepared to answer a lot of questions about your sex life, relationships and life in general.
- You may be asked about sexual orientation, gender, sexual interests and if there’s ever been any sexual trauma in your life.
- You’ll probably be asked to describe what you like and dislike when it comes to being touched, being shown affection and how you feel before, during and after sex.
- If you go with your significant other, your sex coach may still divide you up and meet with you separately to better understand both of you individually first. Naturally, it can be tough to voice sexual issues in front of a girlfriend, so a sex coach wants to make sure no stone is unturned.
- You may be given homework, depending on what issues you talk to your sex coach about.
- Most exercises in the sex coach session will not be sexual in nature.
- You’ll be given goals and plans of action with each session, which is for the sex coach to evaluate how your behavior or mentality has changed as you move along to show progress..