Valentine’s Day is famous for the red hearts, red roses, fancy dinners and greeting cards, but do you actually know how much money an average man spends for the holiday? Or how many condoms are sold? We’re bringing you a list of the most interesting Valentine’s Day facts.
February 14th is a day we all know as the most romantic day of the year. St Valentine’s day, or more commonly called just Valentine’s Day is the day when most of us try to impress our better halves with perfectly planned dates and gifts. Even if you’re not a fan of Valentine’s Day and see it as just a bit too fake and money driven, we’re sure you’re going to enjoy the Valentine’s Day facts we’ve prepared for you.
Money, money, money
Valentine’s day is a day for consumerism. Chocolate, flowers and card sales increase spectacularly and restaurants everywhere get booked out. But the money aspect of Valentine’s day goes much deeper than that.
- Men spend double what women spend for Valentine’s Day. On average each American male spends $150 while the average woman spends half as much.
- The five most common items purchased for Valentine’s Day are a box of chocolates, diamond earrings, dozen roses, dinner for two and a bottle of champagne.
- More than one-third of men would prefer not receiving a gift, but less than 20% of women would say the same.
- 224 million roses are grown for Valentine’s Day. Their prices go 30% higher around the holiday.
- 15% of US women send themselves flowers on Valentine’s Day
- There are one billion Valentine’s cards sent each year in the US only. There’s only one other holiday who does better than Valentine’s Day and it’s of course Christmas. About 85% of all valentines are purchased by women.
Let’s get physical
It’s probably obvious that a lot of sex happens on Valentine’s day. Have you ever wondered why so many people seem to be born around November 14th?
- Condom sales are the highest around Valentine’s Day according to Durex, it goes 20-30% higher than usual.
- However, there is also a sales increase in at-home pregnancy tests in March when there are more tests sold than in any other month.
- A coincidence or not, but penicillin, a popular treatment for venereal diseases was introduced to the public on February 14, 1929.
It’s all about the crazy little thing called love
But at the heart of it, Valentine’s day is all about love. Whether that’s finding your special someone, giving love to your pets or declaring your feelings for a fictional 13-year-old girl.
- In 2015 Tinder overall usage increases by more than 7%, the US matches went up 6% and messages 5%
- Every Valentine`s Day, the Italian city of Verona receives approximately 1,000 letters that have been addressed to Juliet. This is where Romeo and Juliet, the young lovers in Shakespeare`s play, lived.
- At least 9 million people buy their pets a gift on Valentine`s Day.
- 220,000 is the average number of wedding proposals on Valentine’s Day each year.
- According to an American Express report, nearly six million couples are likely to get engaged on Valentine’s Day.